Friday, October 9, 2009

Tasty Dogs at Arlington's Weenie Beenie

Weenie Beenie is the type of place in Arlington that many folks might consciously avoid. Located in a more blue collar stretch of Shirlington, in an area just beginning to show signs of gentrification -- rows of freshly built brick townhomes sit on the hill nearby -- Weenie Beenie is right across the street from a station for day laborers to wait for work, who used to swarm the cars as they pulled up in the parking lot (or so I've been told). But those who choose to speed right by on Shirlington Road have no idea what they are missing. Weenie Beenie's orange-roofed building has a dignity all its own -- the server behind the counter was kind and friendly, and a sign posted on the wall showed the Ten Commandments (in English and Spanish). Our half-smokes were the kind of food that made me thankful to live right around the corner -- the small-looking sausages had a juicy bite with a pleasant 'snap' that warmed my tummy AND my heart. That's right -- this stuff is so good that I've been reduced to waxing corny about it. Mmm, mmm, good.

If you happen to be in the area, swing on by.

I apologize for the lack of updates lately. I have no less than five articles being prepared just for you :)

7 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about Weenie Beanie before, and this review seals the deal! I'm there!

    thanks for writing this place up,

    Aunt Vinson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aunt V.! I love that little hot dog stand. It's great to see it's not too far from where I live. I had to write this blog post after reading reviews from people on Yelp.com who were afraid to visit Weenie Beenie just because it's in a more "working man" area of town. They don't know what they're missing. It's a new one for me to see people criticizing a good old hot dog stand for having a less than perfect exterior. But me -- I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Half-smokes are the best on the planet! It was funny to see all the different types of people going there for a bite in such a short amount of time. Yes, those people really don't have a clue what they are missing and that just means more half-smokes for us. HAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how do the half smokes compare with Ben's Chili Bowl?

    Aunt V.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's me again! I decided I had to try Weenie Beenie without further delay. I am very happy to report that my half smoke with chili was excellent! It was really quite yummy and nicely grilled (or broiled or something!). I had the onion rings as well and they were unusually delicious -- not overbreaded, not overfried, not out of a freezer. I noticed that they open for breakfast at 6:00 and serve grits! The place is definitely a find. Thanks MV!

    Aunt Vinson

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Aunt V.! Eric actually found out about it through his job! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yep, that's how I first heard about it... through Joe! Diva has been there & loves it!

    Aunt V.

    ReplyDelete