Monday, February 15, 2010

Traveling to the Land of Nod: Dream Water

As an a devoted lover of the Land of Nod who sometimes has trouble getting there, I am always eager to try new products that promise a safe trip there. Dream Water is an interesting twist on the concept: flavored water with a few extra ingredients to help you sleep well. With flavor names like Snoozeberry, Lullaby Lemon, and I Dream of Kiwi, I would hope no one would grab one of these thinking it's a good thing to chug before working out ... or driving. I had the chance to sample a 2.5 oz. "shot" of Snoozeberry (blueberries and pomegranate flavor) Dream Water (also available in 8 oz. beverages for a slower route to relaxation) and enjoyed its sweet, slightly tartish flavor. I wasn't sure if it would do what it said it would, so I just forgot all about it ... until approximately 30 to 40 minutes later, when I was about to pass out cold. I couldn't even keep my eyes open, I was so sleepy. I conked out and slept for a good 9 hours straight, and had pleasant dreams about kittens. This stuff does what it says it will.

The lowdown: Dream Water has zero calories. The label states it will take about 30 minutes to work, but times may vary. Since I wasn't paying attention to time, I have no idea how long it took for me to get sleepy, but I think 30 minutes sounds about right. Its ingredients are filtered water, L 5-Hydroxytryptophan, Gamma Amino Butyric Acid, Natural Flavors, Sodium Acid Sulfate, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Melatonin, Sucralose (the same thing as Splenda), FD&C Red #40, and FD#C Blue #1, in that order. It's available in Duane Reade drugstores all over New York, so if you live where I do, you will have to order it off the company's web site, www.drinkdreamwater.com, for now. You can also try a "shot" of Lullaby Lemon for $2.95 shipping and handling. And, while none of these ingredients are particularly strange or out of the ordinary, Dream Water asks that you please check with your doctor before you try it if you are taking any other medicines or supplements, or are pregnant, nursing, or ill. And for the love of all that's holy -- DO NOT take this before you do anything but go lay down. It will knock you out, sucka.

1 comment:

  1. That's interesting. There are only 3 active ingredients, and they are all neurotransmitters or amino acids. I already take 3mg of melatonin before bed because it is natural and does not interfere with anything else you've been taking/doing (don't have to worry if I have been drinking that night, for instance).

    Also, none of those ingredients are habit-forming.

    ReplyDelete